Thursday, July 7, 2016

Gyakuten Saiban 2 Blog Entry 1: Greetings (2002)

Title: Greetings / 「ごあいさつ」
Source: Gyakuten Saiban 2 official site (down)

Summary: the first entry of the official developer's blog of Gyakuten Saiban 2 (Justice for All) for the Game Boy Advance. This entry was originally posted on September 20th, 2002, ten days after the official site was opened. The blog entries consist of two parts: one where planner/scenario writer/director Takumi Shū talks about the game, and the backstage parts, where the Gyakuten Saiban characters comment on Takumi's latest entry. In this first entry, Takumi talks about how it was decided that they were going to make a sequel to the 2001 Gyakuten Saiban.

Greetings

Hello. Takumi Shū here of the Gyakuten Saiban 2 team. My name looks a bit suspicious, but I swear that it is my real name. Like with the previous game, I’m working on this game as planner, scenario writer and director.

Gyakuten Saiban 2.

It is all your warm support that made it possible for us to work on a sequel. I am really grateful. To be honest, when we were around halfway through the development cycle with the previous game, I too thought: “It’d be nice if I could make a sequel.” When I casually raised the topic with the manager, I was returned with a smile that said: “You’re a funny one.” and was lightly and brilliantly evaded. Who could have though such a smile hid such footwork. It left a great impression on me.

“If there is no way a sequel will be made, I’ll just have to pour everything I have into this game, so I won’t have any regrets!” And so Gyakuten Saiban became a game with not a single regret for me, where I poured all I had into. When development was finally finished, “And now I have used every idea I have” was the only thought I had as a comfortable feeling of exhaustion whirled around me.

And then it was decided we’d make a sequel.

“I’ve no ideas anymore!” That was the first thing I said. Well, said, it was without a doubt something closer to a cry. But inside me was definitely the feeling I wanted to see another adventure of them. I may have cried, but I was also waiting for someone to push me forward.

And it’s been a year since then. And now I once again can say hello to you all.  

Gyakuten Saiban 2.
I’m confident in this game. The absolute best Gyakuten Saiban has been made.

I am certain that not only people who played the first game, But also people who will start with this game will be pleased with it. I’ll be writing about the development of Gyakuten Saiban 2 in this column from now on. Please stay around!

Greetings (Backstage)


Naruhodō: Hi. I’m Naruhodō Ryūichi (Phoenix Wright)
Mayoi: Nice to meet you! I’m Ayasato Mayoi (Maya Fey). Eh, but Naruhodo-kun, why are we here talking like this?
Naruhodō: Ah, you know there’s that “developer’s column”? Where the director writes whatever he wants?
Mayoi: Oh, where pretends he’s so good and talks so fancy?
Naruhodō: Yeah, that. People have been saying he’s acting too cool there. So I thought, what if we’re here to comment on him?
Mayoi:…Naruhodo-kun, shouldn’t you just leave your commenting for the witnesses?
Naruhodō: It’s really alright! He’s just as sly as any of our witnesses.
Mayoi: Ah, and now you angered both the director and all our witnesses…
Naruhodō: It’s okay. Anyway, let’s start

Gyakuten Saiban 2.
It is all your warm support that made it possible for us to work on a sequel.

Mayoi: Gyakuten Saiban 2. That was surprisingly fast.
Naruhodō: Yes. Gyakuten Saiban was released in October of last year, so it’s been precisely one year.
Mayoi: I’m so excited for 2! You know, I cried at the end of 11's ending was great, so how are they going to go from there?
Naruhodō: That was the director’s biggest problem too.
Mayoi: Ah, I could have guessed that. He hadn’t thought about that even one bit! Hey, hey, do think you need to have played 1 to understand the story?
Naruhodō: I don’t think so. “A real sequel is a game that allows the player to start with the second game without any problems, but also makes them want to play the first game." Something he said.
Mayoi: So in the end it’s playing both games anyway. The Osaka merchant spirit!
Naruhodō: Don’t say that out loud!

And then it was decided we’d make a sequel.
“I’ve no ideas anymore!” That was the first thing I said.
 

Naruhodō: And there it is!
Mayoi: Aah! Wh-why are you suddenly screaming?
Naruhodō: He’s just saying that so the readers will feel sorry for him. You need to be on your guard with this one.
Mayoi: What do you mean?
Naruhodo: Did you know that there was one idea he just couldn’t manage to use? For the first game?
Mayoi: Wh, what!
Naruhodō: And it was an idea he liked a lot too.
Mayoi: Eh, that’s just cheating.
Naruhodō: Precisely.
Mayoi: And? And? What’s that idea? Tell me, Naruhodo-kun.
Naruhodō: Well... I…kinda forgot.
Mayoi: Going to pretend you lost your memory? That’s cheating, Naruhodo-kun. If you don’t tell me…
Naruhodō: Lo-look out with that! Put that fire extinguisher down!

Gyakuten Saiban 2.
I’m confident in this game. The absolute best Gyakuten Saiban has been made.

Mayoi: … he said it out loud.
Naruhodō: He's a brave man.
Mayoi: Is it really alright for me to get excited for this?
Naruhodō: But he said it himself. It's the absolute worst.
Mayoi: The opposite! The absolute best!
Naruhodō: An absolutely busted Gyakuten Saiban.
Mayoi: Absolutely best! Now you’re just doing it on purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment