Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Gyakuten Saiban 4 Blog Entry 13: Striking Poses (2007)

Title: Striking Poses / 「ポーズを決める」
Source: Gyakuten Saiban 4 official site

Summary: The thirteenth post on the Gyakuten Saiban 4 (Ace Attorney 4 – Apollo Justice) blog (originally posted on April 20, 2007) was posted about a week after the game was released, so director Endō Mitsuru first thanks everyone who bought the game and tells a story about witnessing someone nearby playing the game. He then moves on to explain how to create the animations of the characters, sometimes the development staff had to do the poses themselves in order to explain what they were looking for. They also made photographs of these poses, and in this post, he reveals two of these pictures that served as models for scenes used in the game itself.

Images are taken from the source article. Copyrights belongs to the respective owners.

Striking Poses
 
Hello, Endō here from the Gyakuten Saiban 4 (Ace Attorney 4 - Apollo Justice) team.
 
It’s been a week already since the game was released. To everyone who bought the game: thank you so much!
 
It was only yesterday when I was riding the train back home when the man sitting next to me suddenly started to play Gyakuten Saiban 4. I was really surprised by him
 
The man was wearing a suit and necktie, so I think he was an office worker on his way home. I pretended to read a book while I observed him. He was right in the middle of the third episode.
 
“You’re almost there! Do your best!” I sent him a mental message just as I stepped out of the train, but then he too got up and left the train.
 
“Was my message too powerful?” I wondered for a moment, but I guess he just needed to get off at the same station.
 
Mister getting out at the same station, thank you for buying the game! And one more thing…

“PLEASE PUT YOUR HEADPHONES ON WHILE PLAYING A GAME.”
 
***
 
Anyway, when working on Gyakuten Saiban 4, it was necessary to create a lot of animations for all the characters and making illustrations of the crime scenes etc. But for difficult poses, or when it was hard to convey the exact nuances we were looking for, we’d strike the poses ourselves, take pictures and use these to create the graphics. We had to do this often.
 
Take this for example…
 
 
A spectacular photograph taken of a drunken planner about to strike his senior!
 
No, it’s just Yamazaki who modeled for this photograph. Can you guess what scene this was used for?

This is the answer. It’s this scene from the opening scene of the first episode.
 
 
While looking for more photographs, I came upon one of Mr Takumi using his own body to explain how Prosecutor Garyū should move. But this movement happens later in the game, so sadly enough, I can’t show it here.
 
It won’t be much of a replacement, but I also found a photograph of a certain planner using his own body to explain how Garyū Kirihito should move. Here it is.
 
 
I remember how last year, I had sent this photograph to Mr Takumi, who was gone on a business trip and I was trying to explain things over the phone. We were a bit in a hurry because of the schedule.
 
Endō: “It’s the “yare yare”(TN: Oh boy/good grief/etc) pose of Garyū! I was thinking of going with this! (← shaking my head with the phone to my ear)
Takumi: …
Endō: Mr Takumi?
Takumi: … I’m okay with the pose…
Endō: But?
Takumi: The face looks pretty awful.
Endō: Oh, don’t worry. I’ll have the artist give him a better-looking face.
Takumi: Endō?
Endō: Yes?
Takumi: Sorry. I suddenly felt an urge to really make fun of you.
 
…Endō, the man who will work hard to meet expectations. He might not look handsome, but he has a kind personality! 
 
And below you find the fusion between this kind person and the talented skills we have at Capcom↓ 
 
 
That was it for today. Look forward to the man who will definitely meet my expectations: Yamazaki!

No comments:

Post a Comment